Thursday, March 16, 2006

Today, not yesterday

Readers of this blog would by now notice that I tend to comment on what is written in Today more than in the Straits Times. The reason is very simple. I read only Today on weekdays, and only occasionally the Straits Times (ST). The reason why this is so is that I 'swore off' ST some time ago when they raised their cover price from 65c to 80c (or was it 70c to 80c?). I didn't see how the price increase could be justified, especially when there is a good newspaper (Today) that is distributed free of charge. So I switched to the free Today newspaper. That's the free market mechanism for you - when you have a choice.

Free NewspaperNow, some of you may say that I am a scrooge, a freeloader and all that, but I am quite settled now with Today, after reading the ST for over 20 years. Yes, its been that long, especially when no close alternative was available. I don't miss the ST though. In fact, I have become somewhat impatient with ST because it take a lot longer to get through that paper compared to Today - yet another reason for me to stop paying the inflated price for a paper which I rarely complete reading anyway. I am not saying that Today is a perfect paper. But it suits my lifestyle now, and that's where, I think, it has succeeded and will continue to do well.

2 comments :

Lam Chun See said...

One thing ST has which u can't find in Today is obituaries page. A useful page don't u think?

Epilogos said...

You are right, now that you mention it. But I don't read obituaries that often so its no real loss to me.