Saturday, March 04, 2006

It just got bigger

Pasir-Ris Punggol Group Representative Constituency (GRC) just got bigger. With the growth in the population in the area covered by this constituency, it will have 6 MP's to represent the ward in the coming General Election. The opposition parties have always complained about the inequities thrown up by GRCs. So with a giant GRC like Pasir-Ris Punggol, the challenge got bigger - literally. I doubt they will want to add one more person to their team just to fight for this ward. Furthermore, this ward is helmed by a relative heavyweight in the form of Radm Teo Chee Hean.

For me, this means that I can take a rest on polling day, go wherever I want so that I make full use of the public holiday usually declared for such occasions. I do not believe that polling day will be a Saturday because that goes against the family-friendly policy that was enacted not too long ago. Some say this is also one of those election sweeteners, so if it is taken away, some fence sitters might jump over to the 'other' side, if only to register a protest vote?

Well, all these are just speculation. Believe it if you will, spread it if you want, but don't lay the blame on me if none of the above prove accurate.

No comments :